Saturday, April 17, 2010

Bangkok Holiday New Camera

About a week ago I finally made it to Bangkok, Thailand for the first time.

I have been looking around for a good digital SLR camera for a while and I wanted to check out the CANON 550D. I ended up buying the CANON Kiss X4 (identical to the 550D but this one is the Japanese version). I have never owned a DSLR so I did some research before I went and I checked out all the prices on ebay and in my local camera stores etc. Long story short, I bought the Camera plus a bunch of accessories including 3 different (basic) lenses for about half the price of what it would have cost me in Brisbane.

I did what I'm sure every person does when they buy a new camera and went out and took about 1000 photos in the first couple of days. Here are a few that I like more than the others.

Bangkok Night
This is the standard "Oh my I can do long exposure I'm going to try it out on the traffic at night" shot. I made the effort of walking all of about 20 metres away from our hotel to take this one.

fish
This was actually harder than I thought it would be, turns out fish don't like things hovering above their heads and every time you get over the top of them the shoot off underneath the nearest ledge. I also found trying to avoid glare on the water was a bit of a nightmare.

Yum Cha Brunei
We were having Yum Cha (one of my favourite foods) in Brunei and I was playing around with shortening the focus to just one item. I am loving playing around with my new toy.

Bangkok City
I wanted to see how clear I could get a cityscape image from the rooftop, but I'd only had my camera for all of about 2 hours so I didn't want to try my luck sitting the little tripod on the rail of the rooftop where I was standing. This one was shot by hand, I tried to frame the neon sign of the neighbouring hotel.


There are about 1000 more shots from my week long holiday, I'll try to sift through and find a few more favourites. I think I'll have to make another blog post pretty soon.

Please feel free to leave any constructive criticism on my pictures, I can assure you I have been practising and the next ones to come will be a considerable improvement.

If you are on Twitter make sure to say hi and introduce yourself if you add me @rhyscooper

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh, on their journey from flickr to here the images got cut short. just click on any of the images to go to my flickr.com page and check them out there.

    ReplyDelete